Places for older people

Places for older people


As you get older you might want support with daily living to enable you to stay independent.  We have lots of housing options for older people:

Sheltered housing for rent

We have 3 sheltered housing schemes for older people. We also manage a sheltered almshouse scheme in Blofield on behalf of the Josiah and Mary Brewster Charitable Fund.


  • Self-contained accommodation
  • Vibrant community
  • Regular social activities
  • On-site scheme manager who you can call on for support
  • 24-hour personal emergency alarm service.

Interested in applying?

You'll need to apply through the council's housing list. You can also contact us directly on 01603 731666 or as we're occasionally able to make direct offers of accommodation.


Seaside and country homes

This scheme gives older people from London the opportunity to move to an idyllic setting by the coast or in the heart of rural England. You need to:

  • Live in social housing in London
  • Be 60 years old or over.

All seaside and country homes properties can be found on the Housing Moves website.


Leasehold schemes for the elderly

We manage 2 leasehold schemes for retired people. These are homes for sale rather than rent. Our schemes are located in:

  • New Costessey, near Norwich
  • Hoveton in North Norfolk

How does it work?

You buy the lease of your home at 70% of the market value. This often enables older people to realise capital from their previous home. Both schemes have part-time caretakers, a 24-hour alarm system and a repairs service for plumbing, heating, and electrical works. We also carry out major works, such as replacement heating, and structural works. Replacement of kitchens and bathrooms are your responsibility.

You pay a service charge based on the actual costs we incur.  When you come to sell, you pay into a sinking fund that covers the cost of future major works.

Find out more

There's a waiting list for these developments. Contact us on 01603 731666  or for an application form.

Adapting your current home

We may be able to help you stay in your own home. Simple adaptations such as fitting grab-rails can really help.

Find out more

Contact your local authority social work department or ask us to arrange a visit from an occupational therapist. The therapist will assess your needs and advise us of the options available to help let you live safely and comfortably. Please contact us on for more information.

Image of opening quote mark
"I love the feeling of independence with being able to join in with activities of my choice. There are such nice, friendly people living here."
Hilda, resident at Ashwell Court sheltered housing scheme since 1998
Copyright 2020 Cotman Housing Association Ltd     Terms and conditions | Site map | Privacy and cookie policy | Board and employee log-in